Profile IntroductionThe Immuno-modulatory Biomaterials Laboratory focuses on the development of novel biomaterial systems that can manipulate the immune system. Our goal is to design the next generation of immunotherapeutics for applications in immune-related diseases. This multidisciplinary work incorporates aspects of biomaterials engineering, drug delivery, immunology, biochemistry and cell biology.
|2012||Ph.D.||Biomedical Engineering||University of Florida|
|2007||M.Sc.||Biomedical Engineering||North Carolina State University|
|2004||B.Sc.||Chemical Engineering||Florida A&M University|
NIH MIRA Young Investigator
CBS Grad Group Affiliations
Biochemistry, Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology
Graduate Groups not Housed in CBS
Biomedical Engineering Graduate Group
BIM 283 Design of Experiments for Biomedical Engineering (Spring)
BIM 289C Immuno-engineering (Winter)
BIM 116 Physiology for Biomedical Engineers (Fall)
11/29/2017 8:21:01 PM
- J. Sumerel, J. Lewis, A. Doraiswamy, L. F. Deravi, D. W. Wright, R. Narayan. Piezoelectric ink jet processing of materials for biological and medical applications. Biotechnology Journal. August 2006. Vol. 1. 976-987
- J. S. Lewis, S. D. Gittard, R. J. Narayan, C. J. Berry, R. L. Brigmon, R. Ramamurti, R. N. Singh. Assessment of Microbial Biofilm Growth on Nanocrystalline Diamond Coatings Using a CDC Biofilm Reactor. J. Manuf. Sci. Eng. June 2010 132, 030919.
- Jamal S. Lewis, Patrick C. Crooks, Toral Zaveri, Benjamin G. Keselowsky. Microparticle surface-modification approaches for efficient dendritic cell-targeting drug delivery for auto-immune vaccine applications. Biomaterials. June 2012. Vol. 33; 7221 - 7232
- Abhinav P. Acharya, Jamal S. Lewis, Benjamin G. Keselowsky. High-throughput Parallel Particle Production for Combinatorial Encapsulation of Hydrophobic Molecules. Biomaterials. April 2013. Vol. 34; 3422 - 3430
- Jamal S. Lewis, Natalia V. Dolgova, Thomas J. Chancellor, Abhinav A. Acharya, Jerome V. Karpiak, Tanmay P. Lele, Benjamin G. Keselowsky. Dendritic cell activation is influenced by cyclic mechanical strain when cultured on adhesive substrates. Biomaterials. August 2013. Vol. 34; 9063 - 9070
- Jamal S. Lewis, Krishnendu Roy, Benjamin G. Keselowsky. Materials that harness and modulate the immune system. MRS Bulletin. January 2014. Vol. 39; 25 - 34.
- Jamal S. Lewis, Chris Roche, Ying Zhang, Benjamin G. Keselowsky. Microsphere technology offers combinatorial and local drug delivery to dendritic cells for enhancement of suppressive function. J. Mater. Chem. B. 2:2562-2574. (DOI: 10.1039/C3TB21460E). January 2014.
- Toral Zaveri, Jamal S. Lewis, Natalia Dolgova, Michael Clare-Salzler, Benjamin G. Keselowsky. Integrin-Directed Modulation of Macrophage Response to Biomaterials. Biomaterials. January 2014. Vol. 35; 3504 – 3515.
- Lewis, J.S, Dolgova, N.V., Zhang, Y., Xia, C.Q., Wasserfall, C.H., Atkinson, M.A., Clare-Salzler, M.J., Keselowsky, B.G. A combination dual-sized microparticle system modulates dendritic cells and prevents type 1 diabetes in prediabetic NOD mice. Clinical Immunology. (doi:10.1016/j.clim.2015.03.023)
- Young Mee Yoon, Jamal S. Lewis, Matthew R. Carstens, Martha Campbell-Thompson, Clive H. Wasserfall, Mark A. Atkinson, Benjamin G. Keselowsky. A combination hydrogel microparticle-based vaccine prevents type 1 diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice. Scientific Reports. August 2015. Vol. 5; #13155 (doi:10.1038/srep13155).
- Abhinav P Acharya, Matthew Carstens, Jamal S. Lewis, Natalia Dolgova, Chang Qing Xia, Michael Clare-Salzler, Benjamin G. Keselowsky. A cell-based microarray to investigate the combinatorial effects of microparticle-encapsulated adjuvants on dendritic cell activation. Journal of Materials Chemistry B. January 2016. 4: 1672-1685. (DOI: 10.1039/C5TB01754H)
- Jamal S. Lewis*, Riley P. Allen. An introduction to biomaterial-based strategies for curbing autoimmunity. Experimental Biology and Medicine 2016; 241(10):1107-15. DOI: 10.1177/1535370216650294. * - corresponding author
- Toral Zaveri, Natalia Dolgova, Jamal S. Lewis, Michael Clare-Salzler, Benjamin G. Keselowsky. Macrophage integrins modulate response to ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene particles and direct particle-induced osteolysis. Biomaterials. 2017 Jan;115:128-140. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2016.10.038.
- Keselowsky, B.G., Lewis, J.S. Dendritic cells in the host response to implanted materials. Seminars in Immunology. 2017 May: S1044-5323(16)30111-7. doi: 10.1016/j.smim.2017.04.002.
- Yang, L., Bracho-Sanchez, E., Fernando, L., Lewis, J.S., Carstens, M., Duvall, C., Keselowsky, B. Poly(2-propylacrylic acid) / poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) blend microparticles as a targeted antigen delivery system to direct either CD4+ or CD8+ T cell activation. Bioengineering and Translational Medicine. June 2017. DOI: 10.1002/btm2.10068
- Kakwere, Hamilton; Ingham, Elizabeth; Allen, Riley; Mahakian, Lisa; Tam, Sarah; Zhang, Hua; Silvestrini, Matthew; Lewis, Jamal; Ferrara, Katherine. Towards personalized peptide-based cancer nanovaccines: a facile and versatile synthetic approach. ACS Bioconjugate Chemistry. September 2017. DOI: 10.1021/acs.bioconjchem.7b00502
- Lawrence Fernando, Jamal S. Lewis, Brian C. Evans, Craig Duvall, Benjamin G. Keselowsky. Formulation and characterization of poly(propylacrylic acid) / poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) blend microparticles for pH-dependent membrane disruption and cytosolic delivery. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A. November 2017. DOI: 10.1002/jbm.a.36298